In 2001, the Stockbridge Area Genealogical/Historical Society was organized with the following objectives:
- To promote genealogy/history and educational work of a professional nature;
- To locate, preserve and index public and private genealogical/historical records/artifacts;
- To make records available to members and the general public;
- To instruct members in genealogical/historical research through careful documentation; and
- To maintain quality genealogical/historical standards.
The Stockbridge, Michigan area covers a large geographic area which includes parts of four counties: Ingham, Livingston, Jackson and Washtenaw. Many small farming communities are included in the Stockbridge area: Gregory, Unadilla, Plainfield, Millville, Pinckney, Parkers Corners, Waterloo, Munith, Lyndon Center, Stockbridge, Hell, Bunker Hill, Fitchburg, Dansville, White Oak and Pleasant Lake.